As the first bank owned by the Government of Indonesia, PT Bank Negara Indonesia (Persero) Tbk, established in 1946 began its history by serving as the central bank as stipulated in Government Regulation in Lieu of Law No. 2/1946. In 1955, when the Indonesian government established Bank Indonesia as the Central Bank, BNI began operations as a commercial bank. Furthermore, the role of BNI as a bank that was mandated to improve the people’s economy and participate in national development was confirmed by Law No. 17 Year 1968 on Bank Negara Indonesia 1946.